For the first week of the new year, I actually happened to draw the card of the apana mudra from my mudra deck. A powerful mudra to use when realizing your dreams.
What do you want to experience in this new year? How do you want to feel in 2024?!
Apana is the downward moving life force within each of us. In yoga we talk about the 5 different directions, or “winds”, named vayus, in which prana, our life force, can move and what effects it has within our bodies, minds, and life.
Within the system of the chakras and the vayus, this downward moving energy is the manifesting energy in our lives. One that eliminates what is not needed in order to open up space for what is desired. It is an energy in which what we envision and wish to create, begins to take actual shape and form when in alignment with our hearts as we take action!
Stay tuned y’all because in a few weeks I will be starting a journey through the chakras in my weekly classes! This would be a GREAT time to try out my monthly online yoga community, ‘Journey to the Peak,’ inside which you would always have access to the recordings of whatever you may need to miss!
Meditation Experience for you to Try:
- Take a moment to breathe now.
- Settle in and get comfy in a supported seated posture.
- Let your hands rest on your lap, palms facing up.
- Now, gently connect the tips of your thumb, middle, and ring fingers tips together (in each hand separately).
- Leave your index and pinky fingers gentle extended. *See picture of my hand if you need.
- Now you are in the Apana mudra. Breathe, soften, and open up to your breath.
- Begin to imagine those things you wish to experience and create in 2024! Visualize yourself in those moments. Feel the feeling when you achieve some of your goals! Make true your intention for this year!
- Stay for a while. 5-10 minutes, or longer.
- Then, slowly release from your meditation. Notice how you feel in your body and heart.
-Of course, repeat! 😉
Take a moment to really feel after you’ve gone through this meditation. If you have a little bit of extra time, take it a step further; ask yourself these following questions:
What motivates you?
What makes you come alive?
What lights you up and turns you on?
What is your reason or reasons for doing what you do?
What do you love?
I ask because, in my follow-up week to the apana mudra week, I drew from Father Mike’s homilies. He asked the question: what stops you? I drew upon his question to ask the flip side of the same coin; those are the prompts you see above.
According to some research, motivation is one of the most significant predictors of success. When we stay connected to what motivates us, it keeps us moving forward, even through adversity. So celebrate even the smallest of wins! That celebration and that extra hit of dopamine is going to continue to add to your motivation and keep your Prana flowing!
Optional Further Inquiry:
*And these can sometimes be important to ask. Ask yourself these questions when you feel truly ready to take them on; this is to be resourced.
What stops you?
What constantly gets you stuck/frozen?
What holds you back?
Is it fear, doubt?
What patterns have you found in your life that always get in the way? (And you want to change!)\
Take time with all of this. Come back to this blog again and again, not just for the new year. Stay connected to your heart! (I am finishing this blog the day I am getting CPR certified! Lol )
I believe in you and your dreams. And if you are feeling otherwise, reach out. You’re not alone. We can do this together. And, I have groups you can join too! Stay tuned for more, or email me for a conversation.
Breathe and Believe.